Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Male Ego...

I like men. A lot. But the experience I've been having this past year with my Vets must be happening to remind me that I must be more respectful of their fragile egos. Hmmm...first I have a Vet who is considered one of the top vets in the city BUT he happens to be 'uncomfortable' consulting with a Female Vet who specializes in an area that he doesn't. He's busy, busy, busy and doesn't have time to go into details about a pet turning diabetic. Just give him insulin. It'll be easy. So I switch to another wildly personable Vet-- who comes to your home. Hmmm...now this one is thoughtful and responsive until I start asking too many questions. Under his direction and care my pet was hospitalized twice within a month (price: $2,300)-- so one might think it's okay to ask a few questions; question a few decisions. No? Yesterday, two female doctors at the emergency hospital sat down with me for almost an hour and went through the bell curves, the problems with hard to regulate diabetics, strategies for testing new insulin...etc. etc. So...the wildly personable Vet doesn't 'like' one of the Dr.'s and says to me...better lucky than smart...use her. Good luck with your pet. Fragile ego?? Perhaps just a wee bit.
Here's what I think though...the combination of intelligence and the ability to nurture-- the combination of which is somewhat unique to women (not all the time...but often)-- are what make women so effective in so many professions. This is great news for women of all ages but especially for women who are older, wiser, and intelligent from their years of experience. Imagine what they can contribute when they put their hearts and minds out there!

1 comment:

gfrog57 said...

Good for you for recognizing this as a male ego problem! I love that the female vets showed up to make this oh so clear. The strongest and most wonderful men I know are the ones who admit that they have something to learn from women (maybe that's why I think they are wonderful, hmmm...)