Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Circling the Issues

I used to be fairly indiscriminating when it came to those nearest and dearest. Meaning, everyone was my "best" friend, "good" friend, "close" friend. And every problem that needed attention, be it from my friends of my family or my co-workers, was a problem I needed to help solve. Needless to say, it was a drain on my energy and I lost focus on myself for a good long time. Until I met Lesley Lupo at Canyon Ranch.

According to the Canyon Ranch brochure, Lesley is available to read your Tarot cards. After day 3 you're looking for an activity that doesn't involve 6 AM or pounding music or beading classes, so I signed up.

I don't remember what I expected, but this was not the East Village storefront experience. Lesley was very warm and friendly and surprising. We got through the main event...you'll be happy to know that my life is pretty much on track as she laid it out...and then we started talking about specific issues that came up in the reading. Specifically, my perceived role as "caretaker to the world", and how that role is stunting my personal growth. She gave me a tool that has been tremendously useful.

I drew a circle, which represented me. And around it, a series of concentric circles. Four or five of them. Then she asked me to make a list of the people in my life. And then to place those people on the circles, with the truly nearest and dearest in the closest circle, and moving the rest out to the other circles based on a variety of factors. My factors included things like needy, inspirational and entertaining. It sounds like a simple thing, but it helped me align my priorities with my goals and to surround myself with people who could help me reach those goals in a very visual way.

Give it a try. I bet you'll surprise yourself!

1 comment:

gfrog57 said...

A very cool idea! I'm also visual and love to see these sort of relationship patterns mapped out - how we choose to spend our time and with whom has so much to do with our well-being or lack thereof. I just never look closely enough at it.